Thursday, August 21, 2008

Do Dogs Know Right From Wrong?

I have to admit that I have a conscious. I rarely do anything wrong ... of course ... but when I do, in order to get that extra bit of attention from Herself or, if I'm just in a bad mood ... something occurs, I won't go into details, and I do something that makes me feel awful.

I hang my head and look up at Herself from under my eyelashes, my tail low on the floor and I put on my most pathetic face and she usually says something like "It's OK ... I love you". Whew! I always feel better after hearing that. Up goes the tail and all is well with my world.

They are doing testing to determine whether dogs can tell right from wrong. Check out this article
I can tell them right now ... we know. I definitely know when I get praise when I do something right or I get one of those looks from Herself, when I don't. But the funny thing is, we dogs know the instant we do something ... right or wrong. We just need to be shown that right is better than wrong.

Wait for you by the door, contemplating more deep thoughts.

No comments: