Tuesday, December 5, 2006

What this Dog is thankful for?

I've been thinking how much I have to be grateful for.

There's Herself. My human Mommy. She loves me, takes care of me, frets over me when my sensitive tummy acts up, plays with me ... my favorite time of the day!! We have a special bond that I can't really put into words. You would have to see how I look at her sometimes. "The look of love, is in my eyes". Isn't that a Bachrach song. She makes me feel safe and content and happy ... there's nothing better than that.

There's my AuntJ, Herself's sister. She feels exactly the same as Herself about me and I have a wonderful, loving time with her, when I stay with her. She's really my second Mommy. I love her to bits and when I go down the street I look for her really hard till I see her and then I go running towards her really, really fast. It's sort of a scene out of the movie "10". Lots more to tell you about her as we talk.

There's terrific Graham. He's seven now, and I remember when I first met him. I knew we would be friends forever. I make him giggle. I love to hear him giggle. He's so smart. I can hear his brain spinning around, figuring things out. I have hyper-hearing so I hear really special things like spinning brains and stifled tears.

Graham has a sweet heart. I know when a human has a good heart. Sometimes humans hide who they really are for all kinds of silly reasons, but they shouldn't. We should always be who we are. Graham expresses himself is all kinds of ways. He throws his head back and laughs without holding back. He looks up at the architecture of buildings and notices the difference in them, he plays chess, really well. I'd love to play chess with him. Maybe if they made the chess pieces out of treats I would pay attention and know what piece goes where...or maybe I would just bite the head off the King and the game would be over. He's also wise. You know, that old wise that comes from many previous lives. His truly beautiful Mommy, Allison, Herself's daughter and Dad, Graham,Sr are the soul of Graham's life.

Then there are my other 2-legged friends. Many live on the same floor as I do. They come out and play with me. (Don't tell anyone ... this is a secret but I run in the long hallway with my toy in my mouth with Herself twice a day in a snooty co-op building - all with the silent agreement of my neighbors) . Although I'm very quiet, sometimes one of my human friends comes out of their apartments and we are happy to see each other and we play for a while. There's Elaine and Bud, I love them both a whole lot. They have a beautiful granddaughter, Samantha. She's about 11, I think. We have play-dates when she comes to town. More about her later. There's Jamie(she gets down on the floor and I plop down on her lap and she gives me the best back rubs). There's Rachel, we grew up together. She did a show and tell at her school once about me, she brought my baby pictures when I could fit in the palm of a hand. (Hey! she made me a star in front of an audience). There's Cindy and Steve, two of the nicest neighbors I could have. I go barging into their apartment whenever they open the door, looking for Rachel or Aaron. There's Erika ... she's terrific, she's definitely one of my favs. There's Freida, we talk about intellectual things mostly, at least they sound that way to me. They all get my tail going, wildly. I loooove them all!!

I'm grateful for living here in New York ... there is so much excitement, and sounds, and lots of feet coming towards me as I walk around town.

I'm thankful for all my favorite places to lie down, and nap. The most important is Herself's lap. Perfect. While she works, I nap. Thank you, thank you, to Father Dog in Heaven who placed me here, on this speck of Mother Earth, with those I live with and those I play with and those yet to meet.

And ... I'm thankful thinking about all of you who will read my 'dlogg' and be my friends. Tell me about your doglife ... I want to hear. Herself will read what you write to me. I've given up on learning to read myself ... so she's agreed to read them to me. Need some advice? I've got plenty. And it's good stuff too. Because Malteses are a very old breed from Malta, lots of knowledge has been handed down from my ancestors, through the centuries ... so try me. Ask me anything.

Happy, happy, happy Thanksgiving to you all. Today I will have a little turkey and a quarter of an crisp apple, some bottled water and a good nap. When I feel this happy, the sides of my mouth curl up and I smile my contented smile. ;-)

I'll wait for you by the door~

No comments: